"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20

Monday, January 28, 2013

My Table

Well this is a long time coming...so those of you who have been patiently waiting well I'm finally uploading some pics of my finished table.

To set the stage...I hated our old table. Counter height for small children was less than ideal and then cushions on the chairs well I recovered them and we tried plastic covers for a while but my kids are just plain messy. So I was uber thankful when the hubs said I could sell it. Yeah for craigslist and then nicest couple from Brazil (they live in Johnston, if I remember right). They were incredible and I was super happy to see an investment from the early stages of married life go to someone who will love it too. Does any one else get kinda emotionally attached to random things?

Anyways...I have always wanted a large farmhouse style table. Like the ones in Restoration Hardware (way to hard to swallow those prices), Pottery Barn, World Market. So when I saw some plans on ana-white.com. Of course, I attempted to ask the hubs to make one for me but he was a little busy with the house and well not super excited about it. He did make my bathroom vanity though (I will try to post that one shortly too) so I will give him the credit he is do.

So then I had the brilliant idea of asking my brother if he would like to make me one. He loves to dabble in random things, which I love, so he was eager to help me out. He located some wood from a guy in Peru (the town not the country) and they were going out of business so he got a smoking deal on some nice wood. Most of the plans called for 2*4s and such but all my builder friends steered me to some nicer would. Of course, I know appreciate it.

So I gave my bro some pics for inspiration. He made a treated table and benches for my momma in the meantime and then he made me this...


He kept it pretty rough, which I love. It looks old and like it has so much character. Amazing what a few knots, different stains and random objects for distressing can do.




It came unfinished...I think those pics are on my phone, whoops.

Then I used this sunbleached gray colored stain I picked up at Menards. Along with some random Jacobean and Ebony that I had laying around. Then finished with dark and clear minwax finishing paste and a few coats of wipe on Poly.

It is the dead of winter and I was finishing it in the garage so the wood has since expanded a bit and I have some cracking where I filled in some putty so I will have to do a little work to the big, heavy guy this summer when it is nice out again but oh well. In the meantime we are loving it.


Plus the chairs I finally twisted D's arm to get form world market. With coupon we saved a bunch and

No comments:

Post a Comment