"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Am I engaged?

I have been feeling a bit convicted of late regarding my parenting. I mean I think I have kinda slipped into a me mode and fallen out of being engaged in my children and what they are doing.

I know. I know. You can't do it all the time but sometimes I just check out. And as of late it has been more often than not.

I have stumbled upon a couple blogs, along with my quiet times that have led me to dump facebook off my phone. Prior to be technologically up to date, I used to sit on the floor and play with Shadd and Ells. Don't get me wrong, I can use some time to unwind and they need some playtime with out me but why don't I use that little few moments of quiet to spend time in prayer or reading God's word instead of checking peoples' statuses on facebook. I mean do I really need to know what they are doing.

One of the blogs that I just recently found is...When you rise
She has had some great posts. One I found was regarding moral parenting vs. christian parenting. What she had to say was mine blowing to me. The question was raised how am I pointing my children to Christ with every bible story I teach them rather than cueing in on the moral principle portrayed on the surface. Here is a link to the post.
http://www.whenyourise.com/2011/11/moral-parenting-vs-christian-parenting.html

I am ordering the book, Give them Grace. I am super pumped to read it.

Today's post was awesome too. It took me to some amazing sites with some powerful thoughts.
http://www.whenyourise.com/2012/09/some-needles-in-haystack-excellent.html

But this quote from John Piper was the last straw for me.  “One of the great uses of Twitter and Facebook will be to prove at the Last Day that prayerlessness was not from lack of time.” 

So facebook is no longer a temptation of mine, at least via my phone. Instead I will engage in conversations with my kiddos, play on my hands and knees and spend time in fellowship with my God!

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl...thanks for being transparent...it is hard in this day and age to be "unconnected" and fully engaged-I too struggle with this. Janel Sullivan (Jake Sullivan of ISU basketball) blogged about the book Give them Grace, I haven't gotten it yet, but it is on my to do list...just thought you might want to read her take on it.
    http://team-sullivan.blogspot.com/search?q=give+them+grace

    Miss you
    !

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks! God used you. I was just thinking this exact thought today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! There are many things that keep me from being engaged with my kids as much as I should be. I am going to check out that book and those blogs.

    ReplyDelete