"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Thankful Thursday

Thanks to a dear friends recommendation and my mom...I just started the new devotional, "One Thousand Gifts"(I linked to the amazon page where you can buy it. It is amazing. Of course its essentially what I have been doing in my posts on Thursday however I feel like I my concentration just being once a week fails to get me thinking of the littlest things that truly reflect my thankful heart toward my Creator. And what an honor it is to know the One who created me. I have the ability to have a one on one relationship with the One who knit me together and formed me. Who knows me inside and out better than anyone else, even better than myself. Wow. What a lucky girl. But you are just as lucky because above all else that is what He deeply desires from each one of us. First to be His child and then to love and know Him more than anything else in this world.

We sometimes think all we need to do is become a child of His and then we a guaranteed the blessing of eternity with Him. However, we don't have to wait til death. He is real and available right now to enjoy the blessing of His all consuming presence. I encourage you to stop trying to please the world, other Christians, the jury of your peers but instead sit at the feet of Jesus, Your King, God, Creator of the world and of you, The Almighty. All His names reflect His power, glory and splendor.

So as I dig into this devotional and try my best to chuck the pressures of this world of being the perfect mom, friend, sister, daughter, wife, housekeeper, disciplinary, teacher, etc. I hope you can see the glory of God in my earnest attempt to thank Him for all the blessings, whether to the world they look like it or not.

1. Hot shower - so much of the world doesn't enjoy this luxury. I remember my week in Jamaica where the rain catchers stood on roof tops to hold water for toilets and showers. We had a rule on flushing and I remember praying for #2 so we could flush. Oh the life of luxury we live.

2. Birds chirping - the kids fascination with a robin sitting on our deck and the stories we got to make up as to why he chose our deck

3. Fresh, clean air - blowing breeze

4. Neighborhood gatherings outside - praying for opportunities to shine

5. Rainy days - good for the ground and my grass is getting green for free

6. Shadd's willingness to help out. He his definitely the big guy and a lot of pressure is on him sometimes to be the helper, play with Sage, help Ellsyn etc. So its fun to see him kick back and relax during nap time.

7. Laundry - seems daunting sometimes but I'm thankful my kids have plenty of clothes, shoes, socks, etc and that we have the means to wash and dry them quickly and efficiently.

8. Sage's love for books - we didn't routinely read to him each night like the other two. Call it busy putting two others to bed, building a house, I'm not quite sure. But he actually weaned himself this week choosing to read books over nursing.

9. My mom - she always listens no matter what. Thank you. (she also comes to the rescue when you have a high fever and cant seem to get going)

10. The still small voice inside my heart - praying that I always listen to it. Stirs promptings I wouldn't otherwise think of or entertain




3 comments:

  1. This book is AMAZING! I borrowed it to read last summer, then bought my own copy! Glad you are enjoying it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - good book. Get the app too for the moments when you are just sitting (which is never, ok i know) but it's nice to jot a thing down here and there. Not sure I'll ever make it to a thousand, but naming His gifts is such an act of praise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you say "sit at the feet of Jesus" which is what he desires of us! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete