"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us." Ephesians 3:20

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Family Rules Art

So since I entered the blogging world - I have loved the design blogs that are everywhere. One of my favorites is Perfectly Imperfect. In fact just ordered her ebook as I have a new computer armoire to house my imac upstairs to paint. More to come as I try to tackle one project at a time. 

Anyways I found this amazing family rules chart - I guess was all the rage like last year but nevertheless now my house as one and I love it. Other than D's comment on how it is our family crest. What?

So here is my go on a tutorial...hope you can make one for your fam too.

So I started with my rules - found and downloaded some great fonts from DaFont. Most of them are free and they are amazing. I made them so they would all fit on the size of my canvas - it was just laying around so I made it work. Plus it had to fit in the awesome frame I scored at a garage sale for $1.  So since I didn't photo the process I will try and describe it. I printed the rules on different sheets of scrapbook paper which I had to trim to fit into my computer. Then I cut them out with cute craft scissors - I just bought a 3 pack to make it work. Then I fit them on to my canvas and started modge podging them down. First like glue and stuck the paper down to line them all up and then covered the entire canvas with the modge podge on top x2 for good measure. 


Here are our rules as they may be tough to see (I blame the lighting in our house)

livingston family rules
love Jesus
have a joyful heart
obey mom & dad
speak kindly - be respectful - tell the truth
no complaining- no whining -no bad attitudes
there is no mine - its all God’s
ask for forgiveness - forgive when wronged
be grateful, humble & helpful
encourage one another - share in their joy
be silly - dance - laugh - have fun
be slow to anger, slow to speak & quick to listen
read your bible every day - pray often
jesus first, others second, yourself last
husband:love her. wife:respect him



This is the good stuff. Modge Podge! I learned to love it in college and I always will!



Next was the fun part. So I found the frame at the garage sale and scored some great fabric at Wal-Mart for $1 yd. Now if you sew you know that is crazy cheap. Like better than the clearance cuts. So I took some foam board from Dollar Tree as we frequent the place and cut it to fit the frame as it came backless. Then I took the fabric cut it about 2-3"larger than the foam board and stapled around the edges to cover the board. Put it in the frame and hung it up. Then I took a longer nail and punched it through the foam board into the wall to hang the canvas.  Now I had seen a ton of family rules charts but this one from Perfectly Imperfect was just a little different and I loved it. 


So now we have a new piece of art in our kitchen and I love it. Nothing too original just what the Lord says on our walls in a different way!

1 comment:

  1. Another friend of mine made this recently. Very cool

    ReplyDelete